Not long ago I’ve published my first app using the devcenter developer account and not the global publisher – and just a couple of days later (or should I say weeks) I started noticing crash reports for my app. Downloaded the stack trace data in hope that I could find out where the issue was but no luck – it gave me almost no info about the cause. All I know is that it has something to do with the browser.
So here is my stack trace:
Frame Image Function Offset 0 coredll.dll xxx_RaiseException 19 1 mscoree3_7.dll 436172 2 mscoree3_7.dll 383681 3 mscoree3_7.dll 540620 4 TransitionStub 0 5 Microsoft.Phone.Controls.NativeMethods.ValidateHResult 236 6 Microsoft.Phone.Controls.WebBrowserInterop.InvokeScript 128 7 Microsoft.Phone.Controls.WebBrowser.InvokeScript 84 8 .__c__DisplayClass36._RunScripts_b__34 228 9 mscoree3_7.dll 428848 10 mscoree3_7.dll 222523 11 mscoree3_7.dll 221143 12 System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.InternalInvoke 112 13 System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.InternalInvoke 1556 14 System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke 104 15 System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeOne 564 16 System.MulticastDelegate.DynamicInvokeImpl 84 17 System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke 80 18 System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Dispatch 404 19 System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.OnInvoke 56
So my next question was: which part of my app uses the web browser? Answer: none. Except for the advertising part that is. And that’s where AdMob comes in play. A few searches later I found out that I’m not the only one with this problem – there’s lots of developers out there with similar stack traces and all using AdMob for displaying ads.
Even the AdMob Google group is full of this kind of issues / crashes – and yet they do nothing to solve them. There are some workarounds around this – like marking the unhandled exception as handled and preventing the app from crashing – but that will also render the advertisements unclickable which is not desirable.
So I started looking at alternatives – and after a while I ended up with InnerActive. Most of the developers seem to recommend this one as an alternative to Microsoft’s Pub Center and AdMob – and from what I’ve seen they have some nice partnerships with well knows publishers like HalfBrick or ZeptoLab. And I will give them a try.
I’ve already looked at their documentation a bit and at their supported types of ads – and they seem to be all right (in any case – a lot better than AdMob). I will integrate their ads into one of my apps and let you know how it goes